Eleven months may or may not qualify me to comment with any great degree of knowledge and certainty on Antique retailing in the 21st Century but as I am sitting here behind my desk, in my shop, patiently awaiting for those who want to buy Antiques, it is a good time to reminisce.
I had a Wholesale business prior to this one that dealt with a certain number of customers who wanted and needed my product. Antiques are I guess classified as “non-essential but sometimes nice to have” so it makes for a more difficult world. Patience becomes a virtue.
Am I beginning to understand that’s why so few Antique shops are around today? I am again guessing but I would put money on it that Antique businesses have halved in number over the last twenty years. Why – would be a number of factors.
So here I am in Waihi – the only Antique shop in this Town so that’s cool in a way and I have the shock factor. “Wow – what’s a nice looking guy like you with such a great shop doing here?” (The middle bit of that sentence maybe fake news) but it is a great looking shop with quality stuff as attested to by many of those who come in.
Visitors come in many guises and I hope, if you are or have been or will be one, you won’t mind me identifying some types (in a jocular way).
- The window/front door stopper only – I am not going to lock you up!!
- The 10 second sprint champion – down, around and then out lickety spit. Thanks for coming!
- The 30 second middle distance athlete – slower yes but still with a “let’s get out of here” in case he asks “Can I help you?”
- “I wish I had the space/I am downsizing (do you buy?)/ Isn’t this lovely – my Grandmother, Aunt, Mother had one of those/ I only have a small house now as have downsized/ I have a modern house and this won’t go with any of my things/ They are quite expensive aren’t they” – Yeah I know.
- The Dweller – lovely. Maybe? Bugger gone.
- The Connoisseur and lover of fine things – Maybe? Bugger again.
- The Buyer – Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
Waihi is a great Town and with a big history and lots to see and do including a magic beach so come on up, down or over and whilst here come and visit me.